Friday 29 November 2013

Kivu Writers


I've been spending a bit of time this week helping my friend Firmin set up the social media for his organisation in Rwanda. I've helped put together a blog cum website, Facebook page and Twitter feed. Please do check those out and follow along.

Founded in 2000, we are here to promote a culture of reading and creative writing across Rwanda.

In my former life, I helped to train their Board of Trustees circa 2009. The group waned a little as it was set up by students and, as students are apt to do, they graduate and move away. However, Firmin has returned to Rwanda after his studies and is determined to make a go of things.

A little while back, I set up my own nonprofit organisation called Nüshu. Due to time, and a million and one other activities, we haven't had a chance to do much with it yet, but partnering up with Kivu Writers looks like it could be an excellent first project.

I was also faintly surprised, whilst browsing the list of professions for which you can obtain a T5 working visa for Rwanda, to discover that Authors are considered amongst the 'Occupations in Demand'.

Anyway, I just wanted to give a shout out to the project, as it's such a good one, and I hope to bring you updates along the way.

1 comment: