Friday 25 October 2013

Write or Die



This is fabulous. Thanks to Marie Dees in the NaNoWriMo group I've joined for this one.

It's called Write or Die and it's designed to terrify you out of writer's block:

Write or Die is a new kind of writing productivity application that forces you to write by providing consequences for distraction and procrastination.

As long as you keep typing, you're fine, but if you become distracted, punishment will ensue. Everything is configurable, name your word goal, time goal and preferred punishment, then start writing!

The consequences are as follows:

  • Gentle Mode: A certain amount of time after you stop writing, a box will pop up, gently reminding you to continue writing.
  • Normal Mode: If you persistently avoid writing, you will be played a most unpleasant sound. The sound will stop if and only if you continue to write.
  • Kamikaze Mode: Keep Writing or Your Work Will Unwrite Itself

That last one is the kind of thing writers have nightmares about. It would certainly keep me typing like a lunatic!

2 comments:

  1. Loved write or die during NaNo. A lot of times I use written kitten too. That one makes me want to keep writing just so I can see the kitten.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Heh. A friend commented on my Facebook page that she sets it to 'baby crying'. I'm with her on that one, it'd definitely scare me into writing ;)

    May have to devote a new post to Written Kitten. It's incredible how inventive people have become at keeping writers at their keyboards. Should we be taking writing advice from people who spend so much time avoiding writing by developing ways to keep other people writing? That's still dithering in my book.

    ReplyDelete