Saturday 26 October 2013

Get Threatened


After my post yesterday about Write or Die, I thought I'd share one of my favourite articles on the topic of motivation. It's by Charlie Brooker: Forget those creative writing workshops. If you want to write, get threatened.

To everyone who has ever emailed to ask me for advice on writing, my answer is: get a deadline. That's all you really need. Forget about luck. Don't fret about talent. Just pay someone larger than you to kick your knees until they fold the wrong way if you don't hand in 800 words by five o'clock. You'll be amazed at what comes out.

If, however, you find that the hard-line approach doesn't work for you, perhaps check out Amber Morant's comment from yesterday's post: Written! Kitten? which shows you a ridiculously cute picture of a kitten every time you hit your writing goal.

No comments:

Post a Comment