Monday 7 September 2015

ClipDiary


Haven't posted this since the Blue Screen of Death.

Fate - you fucker.

For some unexplainable reason, I woke up at 6am this morning. Saw the most incredible sunrise through the attic window and ran for my camera. It complimented the half-dozen gorgeous shots I'd taken the day before of Cold Ashby Church from up in the rafters.

Went back to bed. When I came round again, at a sensible hour, I poured a coffee and checked my e-mails whilst plugging in my phone to transfer the pictures.

Hit ctrl+x to cut/copy everything, then got distracted and hit ctrl+c (copy) before I'd ctrl+v (pasted) the pictures to my Photos file.

Thus overwriting the data copied to the clipboard and losing everything.

It took me a moment to realise the photos weren't safely in the folder. Palpitations kicked in. Screamed, wept, rolled about on the floor a bit.

Whereas there are loads of programs (Dr. Fone, Pandora, Asoftech) that can retrieve lost data from a hard drive, USB stick or memory card, not a single bloody one can do it from a DCIM internal memory folder.

If anybody has got any ideas, please let me know. I'm toying with taking it to a shop - they were lovely photos - but I know they'll charge an arm and a leg.

Blah.

Anyway - lesson for today folks.

Grab a copy of ClipDiary. It's one of those thing you don't realise you need until you need it. If you're like me, a cut/paste fiend with no hope of changing old habits, this might just save your life, or at least your data. It keeps a record of every time you hit the ctrl+x/c shortcuts or copy to your clipboard in any other way. Then allows you to return that data to the clipboard should you need it again.

Pure. Simple. Genius.


[UPDATE: A miracle has occurred - I have the photos!]

No comments:

Post a Comment