Tuesday 28 July 2015

The Book of Sand


After mentioning yesterday's Library of Babel discovery on my Facebook page, my friend Karen suggested I read The Book of Sand. Only had time to read the title story, but I am completely in love with Borges.

Surrealist painting, I understand. In literature, I must admit I haven't encountered it so often. 'Magical realism' is a phrase I desperately wish to explore further. What fun! 

The above picture is taken from a work of art created by Isabel Urbina, developed around The Book of Sand. I think it's such a beautiful piece.

It's been a while since I last felt so enthused by a literary concept. Whilst reading about Borges's life on Wiki, I came across this line:

Later in life, Borges regretted some of these early publications, attempting to purchase all known copies to ensure their destruction.

Clear as day the cover of Shadow of the Wind floated before my eyes. 

Well, you have to wonder, don't you?

Anyway, it's nice to have something new to think on, and new influences to absorb. 

No comments:

Post a Comment