Friday 9 January 2015

Harem Fashion


I've been busy writing guest blogs in between major power-outs today.

One of them was on the fashion of mid-1800s Iran, and it caused me to look back at a video which I took great inspiration from during my research, as it threw up some particularly interesting quirks of harem de rigueur.

“Tell me,” I asked, “how do men in Europe display their wealth if not through their wives?” 
“The fewer wives a man has, the greater his wealth tends to be,” he smiled. “Take the Shah of Iran, for instance–” 
“Yes, let’s.” 
“He has more wives than he can count, and hardly anything left to show for it.” 
“What do you mean?” 
“He sells off his country’s wealth to foreign powers in order to fund his pursuit of pleasure.” 
I took a sip of water to disguise the thoughts raging through my mind. 
“It is a shame he cannot sell wives, for he would find himself master of many assets. Though, with the harem fashion for dark moustaches and synophrys, they may fetch far less on the Western market.”

Each to their own.

No comments:

Post a Comment