Sunday 10 May 2015

Mother's Day Reading List

Come on people, little synchronicity please. Mother's Day, it's like bloody World Book Day in that you can pick your date. For the Brits it gets hideously disorienting to see #MothersDay suddenly trending on 10th May. Feels like a whole year's gone by in a couple of months.

So, in honour of Mother's Day in March, or May, or whenever you celebrate, here's three books I've bought my mother in the past for Mother's Day or birthdays. My mum loves a good book. Our house is stacked full of them. So they have to be high calibre for me to select one I think she'll like.


The Generation Game by Sophie Duffy
(full review)

This is one of the all-time unsung fantastic novels that deserves far more attention than it got. Winner of the Luke Bitmead Bursary in 2010. It's hard to summarise this book. As the title suggests, it spans a generation. Poignantly written. Something Lovely Bones-esque about it.

Sister of My Heart by Chitra Banerjee Divakaruni
(full review)

I fall to my knees at the beauty of Divakaruni's prose. She's best known for Mistress of Spices, but, personally, I love this one even more. Every word is poetry. A story of how the distant past affects the far future for two women in India.

The Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern
(full review)

An evocative period piece that appeals to the more magical mind. A love story and a competition, both of which draw you in. I first found this in a charity shop in Scotland. I had five minutes to choose a book - it chose me.



A book about life, a book about legend, a book of the supernatural.

A booklist fit for Mum - though you might want to read them yourself first!

No comments:

Post a Comment