Sunday 24 May 2015

Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell


Thoroughly enjoying the BBC's adaptation of Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell. I read it when it first came out, and it's become an undisputed cult classic. 

Loving the casting. I'm a huge Peaky Blinders fan, so it's nice to see Charlotte Riley (May Carleton) as Arabella. I'm also a huge fan of Marc Warren/Hustle (incidentally from the same small town in Northamptonshire where I learned to play bagpipes as a kid). Also, Eddie Marsan, who I spent an entire series of Ray Donovan watching thinking I know that face, I know I know that face, but unable to place for his excellent American accent. Plus that staple of British casting, Paul Kaye, who in recent years seems to have become synonymous with beardy slightly deranged characters (often with a religious bent) whilst perpetually looking like Fagin, but who I will love always for giving us Blackball, one of the finest yet sadly underrated Britcoms of all time.

It was a very big book, and fairly slow moving. I think the adaptation has managed to capture the ambiance perfectly, whilst moving along at a steady pace. Really can escape into it for an hour or so and forget everything I'm supposed to be doing.

It's been so long since I read it, I'm looking forward to rediscovering the story.

Can't beat a decent period drama and a Yorkshire accent, by gum.



No comments:

Post a Comment