Friday 19 July 2013

Cirque des Rêves

 http://relishreads.files.wordpress.com/2012/10/nightcircus_af.jpg

Haven't had much time for reading of late, but the sun is shining and the in-tray has been mercifully empty today, so I took the opportunity to finish this in the garden with a glass of elderflower cordial and an orange ice lolly.

Picked it up in a charity shop in Alloa a couple of months back. I didn't intend to be in the shop, or to buy anything, but the cover caught my eye and, as is the way with charity shops, I couldn't resist.

Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern is an intriguing read.

The circus arrives without warning. No announcements precede it. It is simply there, when yesterday it was not. The black sign, painted in white letters that hangs upon the gates, reads:

Opens at Nightfall

Closes at Dawn

As the sun disappears beyond the horizon, all over the tents small lights begin to flicker, as though the entirety of the circus is covered in particularly bright fireflies. When the tents are all aglow, sparkling against the night sky, the sign appears.

Le Cirque des Rêves

The Circus of Dreams.

Now the circus is open.

Now you may enter.

As with the last story I read about a circus, I came away in love with one of the secondary characters. Should I ever have a black cat again, I think I shall call her Tsukiko, and her world will smell of ginger and cream. Beautiful little twist.

A little bit Mr. Norrell, a little bit Mr. Punch.

I believe there's even a game you can play online.


No comments:

Post a Comment