Thursday, 2 June 2016

Hand Job


Ladies and gentlemen. I have been a little quiet of late. Partly, this is because I've had a guest, Paul, visiting from the UK and we've been gallivanting about the country. Partly, it is because I had a minor DRA (Drink Related Accident). Lost my footing whilst dancing one night and landed on a bonfire. For someone who has spent a lifetime jumping over Bel fires, this is more than a little embarrassing.

I won't force these pictures on anyone, but if you would like to see what I did, you can:



Yes, it was about as much fun as it looks.

At one point I was running a fever of 38.8 - turned out the wound was infected. Took three hours to get the bandages off because the first hospital hadn't used salve. Then a further three hours cutting away the infected skin on nothing more than a codeine tablet. I was extremely brave for the first hour and a half, but required holding down for the last bit. My eternal gratitude goes out to Nurse Moses at Polyclinique du Plateau in Kigali. I have no idea how he does the job he does, but I am so very thankful for his stomach of steel. Got the all clear yesterday. Bandages stay on for now, but no infection and all my fingers are in working order.

Unfortunately, there is a long list of things that are completely exhausting one-handed:

  1. Putting on a bra
  2. Brushing hair (especially long hair - really snags)
  3. Chopping anything
  4. Tying shoelaces (impossible)
  5. Cutting nails (impossible)
  6. Flossing (impossible)
  7. Washing/shaving under your good arm
  8. Replying to e-mails
  9. Buttering toast
  10. Peeling an egg
  11. Buttoning up jeans
  12. Putting on a belt
  13. Applying makeup (especially eye liner)

Needless to say, I won't be writing any novels for a few more weeks. Sadly, no whistle playing either. I have no finger pads at the moment, they're sensitive as all hell. It will also take a little time to regain dexterity. But having novels to write and tunes to play will help to motivate me. I already feel like Wolverine with the amazing healing powers of the human body. Extremely lucky it wasn't more serious. 

Days like this you wish speech-to-text technology had come a bit further.

4 comments:

  1. Oooch that's a serious bit of singeing :'(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thought you weren't going to look at pictures ;)

      Weirdly it doesn't hurt at all unless changing the dressing. It's coming along really well. Just making life very difficult typing everything with one hand.

      Delete
  2. Ouch ouch ouch! I couldn't stop myself from looking!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well!!!! Really glad it's not any worse than what it is! Here's to a quick healing!!

    ReplyDelete